In mid-July 1953 the Communist Chinese Forces launched their last large scale offensive of the Korean War. The attack, which consisted of ten enemy divisions, was the largest offensive in two years. The firing batteries of the battalion, after having sustained horrific artillery, rocket, and motar fire on the evening of July 13, were again taken under direct attack by communist regular forces. When faced with mass attacking human waves in overwhelming numbers, the batteries were ordered to conduct a strategic withdrawal. Baker and Charlie Batteries found themselves being infiltrated by communist Chinese soldiers. Conducting a breakout, Baker and Charlie Batteries fought their way from the encirclement and were soon reestablished and immediately became operational. Setting the Howitzers in record time, Baker and Charlie went from  total  disengagement to pouring shells back into the advancing communist forces. The tenacity and fortitude of these men served as an example of bravery under fire to every Red Devil in the battalion. By this time the 92nd had gained a reputation of unexcelled excellence.

The advance was stopped 36 hours after it began. During this time the 92nd sustained two enlisted soldiers killed, the S-2 Officer was killed, and twenty seven were wounded and eight Red Devils listed as missing in action. Most of the MIAs were repatriated in Operation Big Switch concluding the final peace accord. In the 36 hours of solid combat it stands as a tribute to the Red Devils of the limited human loss. This fact clearly speaks to the professionalism and skillcraft learned in the earlier bitter battles by the 92nd.

On July 27 1953, a truce was signed with the Communist North
Koreans bringing a cessation of action to the Korean conflict. For all who survived the terror filed days of combat, the truce was slow in coming. The loss of all those Red Devils killed, missing , and wounded in action will never be forgotten.

Following the signing of the truce, all United Nations units, including the 92nd, withdrew a few miles in order to create a buffer zone. Even though the conflict had been officially closed, the battalion remained combat ready in case the Korean and Chinese Communist forces should decide to break the truce.

The Battalion was deactivated on 27 July 1955 at Camp Omiya Japan.

Read excerpt from Military History Book
Chapter entitled"The last offensive"
The 92nd spent most of 1952 in support of various ROK and American divisions in the Kumhwa Valley area on the central front facing hill 1062 (Papa San). The Red Devils  were in direct support of the ROK 2nd Div and the U.S. 7th Div in the battle for Triangle Hill during October.


7th Infantry Div. on Triangle hill

7th Infantry Div. WIA on Hill 598 Sniper Ridge

In November of 1952, as the North Korean winter moved in with snow and below zero temperatures, the 92nd moved westward north of Chorwon to support the U.S. units on the front line.

                                SEE WINTER PHOTOS

Major casualties occurred during June-July 1953 shortly before the truce was signed while the 92nd was providing support for Outpost Harry. This engagement had an especially heavy counter battery barrage directed at the 92nd, and incoming rounds were received in all the firing batteries. Able Battery was hardest hit with two killed and 17 wounded.

Links to views of Outpost Harry: